We are still waiting for the EPA’s “independent” inquiry into the eight cows and three stillborn calves that were poisoned with 1080 by DoC at Mapara last year. Their draft report was due a month ago but it was recently postponed indefinitely by the EPA.
Meanwhile there continue to be more suspicious deaths of cows. Four calves died after the DoC/Auckland Council 2018 Hunua 1080 aerial poison operation. At least one of these deaths was confirmed as 1080 by toxicology.
Recently I read of 49 dead cows being buried on Motutapu Island. I’ve asked the Minister and DoC for more information on this…..
Tēnā koe Sue Grey
I refer to your Official Information Act request of 6 August (copied below).
We have transferred your request to the Department of Conservation as the information to which your request relates is believed to be more closely connected with the functions of the department. In these circumstances, we are required by section 14 of the Official Information Act to transfer your request.
You will hear further from the Department concerning your request. If needed you can contact them at: email@example.com.
Nāku iti noa, nā
|Office of Hon Eugenie Sage Minister of Conservation | Minister for Land Information | Associate Minister for the Environment 6R Bowen House | Parliament Buildings | Private Bag 18041 | Wellington 6160 | P: 04 817 8727 E: firstname.lastname@example.org|
From: Sue Grey [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 6 August 2019 9:42 AM
To: Hon Eugenie Sage <Eugenie.Sage@parliament.govt.nz>; Lou Sanson <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Martin Kessick <email@example.com>
Subject: OIA request re buried cows on Motutapu Island
Dear Minister, Lou and Martin
Please could you advise and provide information on:
1) the dates (or approximate dates) and cause or suspected cause of death of these reported 49 dead cows on Motutapu Island;
2) any information held by DoC to investigate or ascertain animal husbandry concerns about the death of these cows;
3) any communications with DoC and/or third parties about how the dead cows would be disposed of
4) why the dead cows were buried on Motutapu
5) any toxicology testing considered or undertaken on the dead cows including any results from this;
6) any compensation paid by any party directly or indirectly for any or all of the dead cows;
7) a copy of any applicable lease, license and/or any concession for the operation of any farm on Motutapu between 2009 and present.
8) any reports made by or on behalf of DoC to EPA, MPI or any third party about the dead and or burial of these cows. Please include any similar reports by any other party that we made available to DoC
Thank you and kind regards